Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Patience is a Virtue

One of the things I think God has been teaching me over the years, but most especially since I got married, has been patience. 

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I have this problem with demanding immediate gratification for things I want. I know, it's horrifying when I realize how spoiled rotten I sound. 

Then I married Jon.  In many ways, he is my complete opposite. This tends to be reflected in finances and big decisions we have to make.   Over our year and a half of marriage, there have been many times when I've thought we "needed" something but weren't necessarily able to afford at the time.  I'm ashamed to say that I wasn't the easiest person to be married to during those moments.  Through God's grace however, I have worked very hard to curtail those reactions when I realize I can't have something I want right away.  I've had to be patient and realize that, while I can't immediately have it, if I just practice some self-control, we'll eventually be able to afford it and I'll be none-the-worse for the wear.

While it's been easier for me to tackle my reactions when being patient for material things, there are other issues that have proven to be a greater struggle.  I can't help but think however, that it is another way for God to chip away at my character weaknesses, so that I can trust in Him more and become more Christ-like.  It's just so much harder when the thing you want so desperately can't immediately become a reality.  It's in times like these however, that I have to remind myself of the many wonderful things I do have and be thankful for them.  I know so many others would give anything to be in my position, and I should be grateful.  In these times of struggle, I've found the following verses to be helpful.

Proverbs 13:12 "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life."

Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" 

Psalms 37:4: "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart."

Blessed be the name of the Lord.

5 comments:

  1. Amen. I am with you, I want patience, and I want it NOW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could "like" blog comments, I'd "like" yours Ruth. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My one Uncle says that he hates to pray for patience because he knows what he's going to have to go through to receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remind my penny pinching son (whom we love with all our heart) that an occasional "investment" in the most precious resource he has (his lovely young bride) is a wise use of what God has given you both.

    ReplyDelete