Thursday, May 19, 2011

"Because I love you"

"In the same month that the Passion of the Christ was released in movie theaters, Newsweek magazine filled its front cover with a close up of actor Jim Caviezel as the bloodied and battered Christ, plus this blaring headline: "Who Really Killed Jesus?"

Isaiah (the prophet from the book of Isaiah) gives us the answer.

Who killed Jesus?

God did.  God the Father was ultimately responsible for the death of His Son.  God is telling us, "I purposefully determined to crush My Son with My wrath - for your sins, as your substitute"

Why?

"Because I love you."

When you're tempted to doubt God's love for you, stand before the cross and look at the wounded, dying, disfigured Savior, and realize why He's there.  I believe His Father would whisper to us, "Isn't that sufficient? I haven't spared My own Son; I deformed and disfigured and crushed Him - for you.  What more could I do to persuade you that I love you?" "

- CJ Mahaney "Living the Cross Centered Life"

1 comment: