Friday, April 22, 2011

Me, me, me, God, me, me...oh wait....

Before I begin, I want to make one thing very clear: this isn't a sob story about how I'm a victim or how my current insecurity is a result of people being mean to me.  No, this is entirely about coming clean on a glaring area of sin in my life.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am incredibly and insufferably self-conscious.  I constantly scrutinize everything I do when interacting with people and/or cyberspace.  Questions of "How does this make me look?" or "Will saying this make me look stupid?" are, unfortunately, never far from my mind.  It's shameful.

What's sad, is that I've been like this most of my life.

I didn't have a lot of friends growing up.  I often lamented this fact to my Dad, who proceed to tell me that I have my sister (whom I later came to greatly appreciate) and that I'd meet my life-long friends in college.  I was rarely appeased.

Through a desire to have immediate gratification, I tried to pursue this one group of people in hopes of filling a void I thought I had.  Unfortunately, no matter how long, hard or how often I initiated with them, it was never reciprocated.  No friendships were formed and as a result, I became very introspective and self-conscious.  From then on, I've operated from a very selfish, appearance motivated, people pleasing mindset.

As a Christ-follower, this is the last thing I should be doing.  Instead of living a life devoted to glorifying God and dwelling in His love and mercy, I'm searching for people's acceptance.  When I feel like I'm not being accepted by people (i.e. them not reaching out to me, wanting to be the best of friends forever and ever), I berate myself, viewing it as "somethings wrong with me".  My "self-consciousness" ultimately becomes a pity party for me, myself, and I.  I'm being incredibly selfish and sinning in a big way.  My insecurity demonstrates an utter lack of contentment in what God has given me.  Even worse, I'm placing far more importance upon people's opinions, rather than God..

Jesus Christ didn't hang, suffer, and die on the Cross so that I can live a life spent worrying about MYSELF.  He died so that I could be covered in HIS Righteousness, so that when I stand before God, He won't even see ME - He will see Christ's Righteousness.  And here I am trying to be cool.  Geez.

I don't want to be the person that I am now.  I want to be completely consumed by Christ and a desire to bring Him glory, honor, and praise.  I want my identity to be solely found in Him.  I just don't know how to not care about what people think of me.  The only thing I can do is pray and ask that God help me overcome this area of sin in my life, and solicit the prayers of fellow believers.

7 comments:

  1. This is TOTALLY me too, right on the dot. Not to make it about me...lol. But seriously, this is something I have a HUGE struggle with as well. There came a point in time, when one of my close friends passed away on June 21st 2009, and God was hugely working on me. I felt so free, and didn't care what anybody thought of me anymore. But, i've seemed to slip back into the "old", instead of keeping the "new" on. it's not something i intend to keep. I struggle hugely with a lot of the same issues you do, and have my whole life as well. I will pray for you that God will change your heart and mind in a HUGE way! God bless you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS- this is Allison (Scruggs) Spikes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well put. You guys are like the Blog couple. Maybe you should do one together. Yeah we could make money on that. And then we can get you a sit-com (hyphen? I never know). I get a cut of that if it works out though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Hope you realize the just kidding in that. Im sure if we made money we'd have to give it to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.P.S Once again, just kidding. Obviously. Jesus doesn't need out money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.P.P.S Ok so obviously just kidding, more sarcasm. I just wanted to see how many Ps I could get in a row. So to recap just kidding execpt for the first part, it was well put, and you could totally do a blog together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally can relate in so many ways to this. I know that I am always horizontally comparing myself to everyone else, and I need to be way more focused on who GOD wants me to be.Thanks for sharing.

    I stumbled upon this terrific blog post a while back and it totally blessed me, I hope you will be blessed too!

    http://jonesdesigncompany.com/thoughts/twirl

    ReplyDelete